Bài viết nằm trong series những bài đọc về các chủ đề quen thuộc trong IELTS Speaking & Writing, nhằm mục đích cung cấp thêm cho các bạn những ý tưởng, vốn từ có thể sử dụng khi đi thi. Xem toàn bộ bài viết tại đây nhé.
Teenagers who commit serious crimes should be punished in the way same as adults.
- This is a controversial topic based on the fact that most teenagers are driven into some crimes by peer pressure. I say yes, depending on the gravity of the crime, juveniles should be tried as adults if the crimes that they have committed are adult.
- No matter how old one is, murder or rape are not crimes that are committed without the culprit putting thought into it. Any teenager who tortures and kills a human being or commits rape should not be treated as a child and should not be allowed to get away with it. By letting them get away with it, we continue to encourage the rot that is slowly but surely eroding the world. There should be no excuse. Youths who commit crimes are criminals and we should not let their age continue to allow them to be on our streets, living as our neighbors, and in many instances, committing more crimes. I believe that teens should be held accountable for their actions and tried as adults.
- Critics of juvenile delinquency would have a problem with the way serious crimes are dealt with when committed by a teenager. Teenagers have been known to get away with crimes like murder and rape fairly leniently when compared to adults. Teens are more likely to be counselled and put in counselling programs, instead of facing a trial and having a prison sentence. Some would argue that isn’t fair, because a teenager will know when they are committing such a heinous crime. Unless proven otherwise, there is no reason why the child shouldn’t be charged criminally in the same way an adult will be.
- They are treated differently from adults because adults are believed to be of sound mind and capable of making sound decisions. This is the same reason why laws don’t have exceptions such as “because this election is important, let’s give children voting cards,” or “this war is important, let’s dress kids in camouflage, give them guns and send them to war”.
- All this is put in place because children are considered weak, both mentally and physically, and this is the same reason why they are tried as juveniles and not adults. By having children tried and treated as adults, they’ll most probably be sent to an adult facility which they are mentally not able to handle and this could further damage them.
- Sometimes, juveniles commit crimes out of ignorance or peer pressure and trying and treating them as adults could damage their future because they’ll have criminal records. Juvenile records are usually not treated with the same weight as those of adults, however having them as adult criminal records, regardless of the fact that the crime was committed when they were juveniles, will follow them throughout life.