Some people think that mobile phones should be banned in public places like libraries, shop and on public transport. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- Phones can be intrusive and disturb others when they are concentrating (for example in libraries)
- The signals can cause problems in some public places, such as hospitals, by interfering with delicate instruments or equipment.
- In some public places, such as libraries, music hall or galleries, phones can annoy or ruin the experience for others
- Phones can easily be turned to silent or vibrate mode
- Phones should be useful in case of emergencies, for instance accidents in public places
- Phones can provide entertainment or references to people, for example people on public transport or students looking for information online
- Phones are multi-functional and can be used as recording devices/cameras in some cases
Telecommunication technology has played a vital role in information sharing and bringing people closer. Its usage has become a basic necessity of life and one cannot image to live without mobile phones. Prohibition of cell phones in public places is laudable, but I don’t agree fully and believe that their usage should be allowed in public places but with some restrictions.
On the one hand, using mobile phones in public places can distract other people and divert their attentions. For instance, libraries where people reading material of interest can be easily distracted through ringtones of incoming calls or people talking over the phone loudly with their loved ones. Mobile phone usage in public places like hospitals can easily interfere with the medical equipment which can be harmful to the patient. Moreover, its usage in Music galleries or prayers room can result in discomfort for others and spoil their entertainment or offerings.
On the other hand, restricting usage of mobile phones in public places can keep people away to stay in touch with their loved one in case of emergency and so on. Mobile phones nowadays come up with cameras and other services like Email, Entertainment and so on. This would keep them away from capturing the pictures of events in music galleries or taking selfies in public buses and sharing with their friends on the go. Moreover, people love to listen to music during travelling will have little to enjoy. Cell phones can easily be switched to silent/vibrate mode, this will not distract people due to loud ringtones of incoming calls or messages.
To conclude, the above points provide plausible arguments in favour of both views. However, I personally believe that cell phones should be allowed in public places but with some restrictions in place so that they can remain in touch with their friends and family members whenever they need.
Nguồn: IELTS Mentor