Click vào mũi tên da cam để nghe
Click to hide/show content
Hi everyone, welcome to english-learning.net. In this lesson, I’m going to teach you some easy ways to give bad news. Sometimes, we are unfortunate to give people bad news. Of course it’s not something we want and it’s not easy, either. Let’s find out some easy ways to make bad news less bad.
1. I’m afraid I’ve got some bad news….
This expression tells people the news you are about to give is not what you want. For example:
- I’m afraid I’ve got some bad news. You will not get the pay raise you asked for. I’m sorry.
- We’re afraid we have got some bad news. The camping will be cancelled because of the storm.
2. I’m sorry to have to tell you that…..
This is also a common way to give bad news. It shows how stressed and sorry you are when giving the news, and that giving the news is something you have to do. For example:
- I’m sorry to have to tell you that your sister just got a car accident.
- I’m sorry to have to tell you that the Internet connection will be down for the next few days.
3. I regret to inform you that …
This phrase is often used in formal situations or in business. It has a high level of formality. For example:
- I regret to inform you that the event will be cancelled
- I regret to inform you that your offer has been declined.
4. It is my unfortunate duty to tell you that …
This long expression is another informal way to give bad news. It explains how unfortunate, or how unlucky you are to have to give the news. For example:
- It is my unfortunate duty to tell you that you will not be promoted to manager position.
- It is my unfortunate duty to tell you that our company will need to file a bankruptcy.
5. I need to warn you that I have some bad news.
This expression conveys the same message as number 4. It is a careful way to give bad news in some formal situations. For example:
- I need to warn you that I have some bad news. Our company has decided to cut down all the bonus due to the financial loss this year.
If you find this lesson helpful, you can save the photo below for later review